NEWS + EVENTS ARCHIVE
THE LIFE LUCY KNEW (On shelves: JUNE 12, 2018)
October 29, 2018
7:00 PM Whitby Public Library, Central Branch, 405 Dundas Street West.
In conversation with NYT bestselling author Susanna Kearsley (BELLEWETHER) Books available thanks to Blue Heron Books. No charge to attend though space is limited. Call 905.668.6531 to reserve a spot!
September 17, 2018
7:00 – 10:00 PM Church of the Holy Trinity, 19 Trinity Square, Toronto
Killer Crime Club — moderating discussion with New York Times Bestselling authors A.J. Finn (THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW) & Mary Kubica (WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT)
September 12, 2018
7:30 – 9:30 PM Chateau des Charmes Winery
Wine and Words hosted by Niagara On The Lake Public Library
September 1, 2018
AJC Decatur Book Festival, Decatur, GA: Guarding Secrets in a Tangled Web
5:30 – 6:15 PM First Baptist Decatur Sanctuary presented by AJC, in discussion with Catherine McKenzie (THE GOOD LIAR)
July 18, 2018
Stillwater, MN: Literature Lovers’ Night Out™️ Hosted by Valley Bookseller
7:00 PM The Grand Banquet Hall, 301 2nd St S, Stillwater, MN
Joint event with Susan Meissner (As Bright As Heaven); Amber Brock (Lady Be Good); and Cherise Wolas (The Family Tabor)
Tickets: $11 at Valley Bookseller or call 651-430-3385 (on sale now)
July 17, 2018
Excelsior, MN: Literature Lovers’ Night Out™️ Hosted by Excelsior Bay Books
7:00 PM Excelsior Chamber of Commerce, 37 Water St, Excelsior, MN
Joint event with: Susan Meissner (As Bright As Heaven); Amber Brock (Lady Be Good); and Cherise Wolas (The Family Tabor)
Tickets: $11 at Excelsior Bay Books, or call 952-401-0932 (on sale in June)
July 16, 2018
River Falls, WI: Event with Amy E. Reichert (The Optimist’s Guide to Letting Go)
7:00 – 8:00 PM River Falls Public Library (Lower Level Community Room), 140 Union Street, River Falls, WI
June 20, 2018
Uxbridge, ONTARIO: Speed dating with Books!
7:00 – 9:00 PM Blue Heron Books.
Group event with authors Tish Cohen (Little Green), Joanna Goodman (The Home for Unwanted Girls), Uzma Jalaluddin (Ayesha At Last), Heidi Sopinka (The Dictionary of Animal Languages), Amy Stuart (Still Water)
Authors sit with audience members at tables for a ten minute chat before switching to the next table, for an up close and personal with each author. Following the speed dating rounds, there will be a group Q&A for any final questions missed in the dating period. One lucky book club will even win a set of 10 copies of the book of their choice from that evening.
Ticketed event: The $25 admission fee to this exclusive event includes a copy of a book of your choice from one of our six authors, plus light snacks. CASH BAR.
May 23, 2018
Oakville, CANADA: Support local authors AND libraries! An Evening with Hannah Mary McKinnon & Karma Brown
7:00 – 8:30 PM Oakville Public Library, Central Branch, 120 Navy Street, Oakville
November 11, 2017
Toronto, CANADA: National Women’s Show, speaking and book signing
(Health & Wellness Stage: 12:00 – 12:30 PM // Harlequin Booth #915 — 12:45 – 1:45 PM)
IN THIS MOMENT / (on Shelves MAY 30, 2017)
October 13, 2017
2:30 PM L.E. Shore Memorial Library, Author Talk with Marissa Stapley, Jennifer Robson, Kate Hilton
September 6, 2017
June 16, 2017
Salt Lake City In conversation with Ella Joy Olsen
7:00 PM The King’s English Bookshop
In conversation with author Ella Joy Olsen at The King’s English Bookshop (In conversation & book signing)
June 15, 2017
Seattle: 7:00 PM University Book Store
June 7, 2017
7:00 PM Queen Books, 914 Queen St. E. (Leslieville)
Panel discussion with Kate Hilton (JUST LIKE FAMILY) and Jennifer Robson (GOODNIGHT FROM LONDON), and moderated by Marissa Stapley (MATING FOR LIFE).We’ll discuss our new novels as well as contemporary women’s fiction in Canada, and sign hot-off-the-presses copies of our books.
June 4, 2017
2:00 PM ANDERSON’S BOOKSHOP (Naperville, IL)
June 3, 2017
1:00 PM BARNES & NOBLE (Appleton, WI)
June 3, 2017
7:00 PM BOSWELL BOOK COMPANY (Milwaukee, WI)
June 3-4, 2017
Illinois & Wisconsin events
Multi-author bookstore visits, with Colleen Oakley (Close Enough to Touch) & Amy E. Reichert (The Simplicity of Cider), where we discuss books, the writing life, and sign our latest novels.
May 29, 2017
7:00 PM (Sudbury Chapters — get directions)
In conversation with Kate Hilton (JUST LIKE FAMILY) at the Sudbury Chapters bookstore. We’ll discuss our new novels and sign hot-off-the-presses copies of our books.
May 23, 2017
Toronto, CANADA: High Tea & Conversation with Lainey Gossip (Omni King Edward hotel)
1:30 – 4:30 PM The Omni King Edward Hotel, Toronto.
Join Karma and Elaine Lui (Lainey Gossip) for a High Tea & book conversation event at the Omni King Edward hotel! Tickets are $20 (only 100 available) and include high tea, a tote swag bag and a signed, finished copy of Karma’s latest novel, IN THIS MOMENT.
IN THIS MOMENT: NEWS + MEDIA
Thank you, Canada! IN THIS MOMENT spent 7 weeks on both The Globe & Mail and Toronto Star bestseller lists.
Thanks to the Toronto Star for this fantastic review of IN THIS MOMENT — “Literary titans such as Updike and Cheever have brilliantly trodden this path of suburban sexual/emotional angst before. Karma Brown now impressively joins their ranks.”
Publishers Weekly calls IN THIS MOMENT a “…meticulous study of unresolved guilt and buried secrets…” and an “…admirably layered portrait of how love can bend and still not break…”!
Read about what inspired IN THIS MOMENT, and what Karma hopes readers take away from the book in this Publishers Weekly Author Spotlight interview.
IN THIS MOMENT was included in Redbook Magazine’s 20 Must-Read Books of Spring. Here’s what they had to say: “Another captivating read by Karma Brown, IN THIS MOMENT will have readers thinking long after they finish the last page.”
- 1 Mom’s Journey to Becoming SuperMom: PopSugar Moms – personal essay about the quest to become a SuperMom (and how we’re probably already there).
- Publishers Weekly calls IN THIS MOMENT “… an admirably layered portrait of how love can bend and still not break …”! Read full review.
- 8 Summer Beach reads for fans of Emily Giffin – Thanks Buzzfeed for including IN THIS MOMENT in your roundup!
- The Top 10 Can’t Miss Beach Reads of 2017 – Culturalist, thanks for the mention!
Saturday, April 29, 2017
AUTHORS FOR INDIES: A day of appreciation for our independent bookstores and booksellers! Come visit me:
- 10:00 – 11:30 AM — Curiosity House Books & Gallery in Creemore with Jennifer Robson, Kate Hilton and Kerry Clare
- 1:00 – 2:30 PM — Forster’s Book Garden in Bolton, again with Jennifer, Kate and Kerry
- 3:30 – 4:00 PM — A Novel Spot Bookshop in Etobicoke, with Jennifer Robson>
THE CHOICES WE MAKE: NEWS + EVENTS
- THE CHOICES WE MAKE is a Globe & Mail AND TORONTO STAR bestseller!
- “Karma Brown delivers emotional punch with infertility tale” TORONTO STAR review
- “A first draft is like a first date” THE GLOBE & MAIL
THE CHOICES WE MAKE audiobook is now up for pre-order (listen to an excerpt!)
- IF IT WASN’T FOR MY SISTER I WOULDN’T BE A MOTHER — my very personal essay on surrogacy in Redbook Magazine
- Read how we started a family via surrogacy, which inspired THE CHOICES WE MAKE.
- Summer vacation is getting closer, so thanks to SheKnows for including THE CHOICES WE MAKE for their summer reading list!
- Thanks to Redbook Magazine for choosing THE CHOICES WE MAKE as a must-read book for summer 2016 (and for calling me the “female Nicholas Sparks”!)
- My upcoming novel, THE CHOICES WE MAKE, is quite personal for me…watch my interview on Canada AM (from 2012) to learn how my family has been affected by infertility, and the gift of surrogacy!
- THE CHOICES WE MAKE is a Spring/Summer Publishers Marketplace Buzz Book!
- The Writer’s Community of Simcoe County (October 16th): guest author for monthly meeting
- THE CHOICES WE MAKE celebrates its Book Birthday! (July 12)
- Indigo Bay & Bloor Signing and in-conversation Event, Toronto (July 14 7 PM) *details coming!
- Midwest Writers Workshop (July 21 – 23, Muncie, IN): Join me for the Women’s Fiction, Deconstructed Intensive workshop!
- American Library Association (ALA, Orlando, FL June 23-28): Book signing and Panel discussion, Historical and Emotional Women’s Fiction
- Chapters Burlington (May 7): Mother’s Day event (1:00 – 4:00 PM) … please pop by to say “hello” and pick up a book for Mom!
- Canadian Authors for Indies Day (April 30): Thrilled to participating in this amazing event — I’ll be at Eat Your Words in Bloor West starting at 10am, and at A Novel Spot in the Kingsway at 3:00 PM, so please pop by to say hello! Also, here’s a short post about why I love indie bookshops.
OTHER NEWS + MEDIA
- The Balance Project: Find out how I try to strike balance, and why I’m still a work in progress…
- Bucket list, CHECKED: COME AWAY WITH ME listed as one of The Globe & Mail’s Top 100 books for 2015!
- COME AWAY WITH ME is enjoying a fun run on the Globe & Mail Bestseller list — 14 weeks and counting …
- COME AWAY WITH ME is a Globe & Mail bestseller! Canadian Fiction #5 for week of October 24th!
- A FANTASTIC review in Globe & Mail for COME AWAY WITH ME!
- Loved being on Global TV’s The Morning Show, with Liza Fromer, talking about COME AWAY WITH ME!
- Thanks for the shout out Rent frock Repeat!
- Bucket List Contest! My amazing publisher, Mira/HQN, is running a bucket list contest where simply posting your top 10 list items gives you a chance to win one of them! Up to a $5,000 value, how can you not enter this contest? Runs until August 27th.
- Want to win an advanced copy of Come Away with Me? Enter this Goodreads giveaway!
- Come Away with Me was chosen as a Publishers Lunch Buzz Books (Spring/Summer 2015)!
Watch my editor, Michelle Meade, talk about Come Away with Me!
Cover News: The Australian cover for Come Away with Me is here, and it’s beautiful!
- BookExpo America (BEA) – I’ll be attending BEA in New York City this year, and will be signing copies of Come Away with Me!
- I’ll be doing a reading at World Literacy Canada KAMA Reading Series ~ I’m both honoured to have been asked to contribute to such an amazing, worthwhile event, and terrified at the prospect of doing my first, official reading!